Friday, May 22, 2020

Short and sweet

This past week I decided to use my three days off to go visit my parents in Ohio. I left early Tuesday morning and came home Thursday evening. The fun part of the 8 hour drive is going though the twisty turns in the mountains on highway 58. I wish I was able to stop and get a picture but with all the rain, there was thick white fog at the top of the mountain. I could barely see while driving so a picture was out of the question. But I was able to snap this picture at the base of the mountain. It was still a beautiful drive despite the weather conditions. 

Dixie and I made it home around 3 in the afternoon. I don't like to make a lot of stops when I'm traveling long distances so Dixie was happy to get out in the back yard and run around a little. We stopped one time for a gas fill up and a potty break about 5 hours into our drive and then trucked it the rest of the way. She's a good sport. 
Sterling wasn't able to come with me this time. Right now our work schedules aren't lined up. He gets the weekends off and I get Tuesday through Thursday off. But he was okay with me going home for a little bit. He was also a good sport and took care of the cats while I was away. 

Whenever I make it up to Ohio I make sure to stop and see Grandma Beninghof. She will be 91 this year! When we go visit we always sit in her living room and she has this beautiful picture of Grandpa Beninghof on display. I always loved this picture of him and his dog Brownie. This is one of the reasons why I really want to own a German Shepherd someday. They are just gorgeous dogs! Grandma told us when Brownie died, Grandpa spent about 2 weeks in the hospital because he was so heart broken. That's one heck of a bond, but also one I'm sure a few of us can relate to. I will be devastated when Dixie passes away. 

This is Grandma's cute little kitchen and dining area. She loves blue as much as I do! I believe I also get my sweet tooth from her. She loves chocolate!

I always loved looking around this room and looking at her trinkets and little figures. I swear you can always find something you've never seen before every time you look. It's like she has her own little antique shop in her home. I love it! 

There is always something blue on display. There is so much to look at. 

This is her living room. She has this couch (the one my mom is sitting on) that has a sleeping spell in it. Every time you sit down it makes you want to take a nap. It's super comfortable and she's had it for over 30 years. It's amazing how some of that stuff can hold up for so long. 

And here is the lady of the hour! She's just so cute. I love her very much and I hope to be a cute grandma like her someday. She is a really neat old lady with a bunch of cool stories to tell. I could sit and chat with her for hours. 
I also got to visit with my other grandparents. Yesterday was my Grandma Char's birthday so mom invited them all over for dinner on Wednesday and I surprised Grandma Char and Grandpa Tom. They saw Dixie before they saw me and Grandma Char thought my parents got a new dog haha. It was pretty funny. But it was a nice visit with everyone. 
I enjoyed my short trip to Ohio and I can't wait to go back! You can take the girl out of Ohio but you can't take Ohio out of the girl. It will always be my home away from home. 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Kayla! I didn't have your blog on my blog page so I'll fix that today. I enjoyed reading your posts and I'm glad you were able to visit your folks and Grandparents. Take care and stay safe!

    ReplyDelete